Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Stupid tips Part 1

I have a very small garden which over the last few years I have to come to love. I potter about and lose all track of time. I also have a pair of green and pink check gumboots which I adore so will welcome any excuse to wear them. At the end of a hard afternoon in the garden I can sit in my gumboots, downing a restorative cocktail and I don't have a care in the world.

The most frustrating thing about gardening is that it usually looks ragged and half-eaten due to a never-ending plague of snails. I've tried leaving out beer which is supposed to encourage them to some sort of drunken suicide but have never found this to work. I also realised once that this technique has too many parallels with young men and their first cars so it makes me uneasy (I know - possibly an odd reaction). So instead I bait them and ever so often I go on a rampage, hunt them out and crush them to death. I can pretend they are some of the arrogant idiots I occasionally have to work with. Even more satisfying is to apply salt to them and watch them foam up and die but this takes planning (after all who walks around with salt on them). I was reading a gardening book recently that suggested this was a cruel practice and a more humane way to dispose of snails was to put them in a plastic bag and then into the freezer so they could "fall asleep gently". WHAT? They are snails not endangered cute baby seals. As my dear old Grandad would say "What a load of rot!"

I am obviously not a very humane gardener. I will however continue on my search for appropriate and effective snail eradication techniques.

9 comments:

meva said...

Rats, Ms Batsville. Apparently rats love them and all that's left is the shell. Have you ever seen snails at the tip? No! Proof positive.

gigglewick said...

Meva:

Pet rats or the "they're coming out of the walls!!!!! the horror!!!! the horror!!!!!"
infestation variety?

Ms Batsville: My personal tip is red wine*, as long as you're not having any kind of outdoor occasion where some desperado alcoholic friends might be tempted to drink snail sangria.


* For a variety of applications, but in this case for drawing out and killing snails.

Ms Batville said...

I have a horrible feeling I may have rats already but they seem to be invisible and unobtrusive. Is't there statistic about whereever you are in Melbourne there will be a rat within 50 metres of you.

I think the red wine idea sounds like a winner gigglewick for a number of reasons. BTW - I like your blog and have tried to leave a comment but some new Blogger problem stops me logging in. Apparently "the engineers are looking into the problem" - yeah, sure.

Have a good day all.

Merle said...

Hi Ms Batville ~ I use snail pellets as I have no pets or little kids. You could put them in a container with only a small opening.
Darn nuisances!! Take care, Merle.

redcap said...

On rainy days, I used to collect snails in a bucket and then empty them into my green waste bin with the prunings. I figured that at least they'd die happy in among the prunings and would then enrich the resulting compost. Of course, that was in the days when we had rain. Now I just step on 'em.

Ms Batville said...

Aaah, rain - I remember that concept.

obtuse-a said...

i tip my coffee grounds onto the garden. Coffee=makes you fast vs. snails = slow . i think i might have made this up. it seems to work

the other method - deep trays of beer. the snails climb in, get trolleyed, can't climb out and drown. what a way to go.

Ms Batville said...

Thanks obtuse-a. I'll try the coffee grounds - I sure have enough of them.

Welcome - I like your blog.

obtuse-a said...

thank you, and good luck with mr smooches!