Monday, September 11, 2006

Why blog?

Why is it that a person suddenly feels the need to start a blog and (hopefully) share their thoughts with the world? Is it that they are lonely? In need of attention? Maybe in the middle of a busy world, in what seems to be a perfect job, surrounded by self-important folk, I need a space to be truly honest.

Seems to me that the older we get, and the more successful we are, the only time we are truly honest is when we are with kids. I don't have any of my own, but I am lucky enough to have two small friends with whom I can really be myself. The rest of the time I have to 'put on a face' - the "professional" face, the "boss" face, the "good daughter" face or the "god I hope I am hiding how bad this date is going" face.

So let me know - how honest can you really be in a blog? Do you self-edit? Does a fear of being identified limit what you say? Guidance for the newbie welcome....

3 comments:

Melly` said...

Why blog? It is a useful sounding tool. And safer than when you completely sabotage an organisation you are involved with with a very funny mock up of a PowerPoint presentation that could accidently get found.. you remember to tone this down a little in case it is ever found. It is like a diary but better - people comment and remind you when your being a tad ... out of touch. It is also finding other peoples blogs that you find you have similar/same or completely different views. It is pictures and funny comments. When you are accidently "shopping for xmas presents" and download nasties you shouldnt of.... and need to reformat the blog stays - every other wonderful thing you were saving will be lost.
Spend $6 and buy a magazine.. in 20 minutes you have read the lot. Find the blogs you like and for free you have the reading you want . Different experiences and opinions - and better still when you find people also have your opinion....Oh - the beauty of blogs can go on and on.
Thank you for letting me see a tiny side of you.

Ms Batville said...

Wow - my first comment, and a wise and very lovely one it is too. I could not have hoped for a better one. Thanks Melissa - you made my night

Interesting what you say about blogs providing you with insight. As someone who lives alone, I can get a bit too caught up in my own little world so I am hoping that blogging will get me out of that habit. And you are right - reading blogs is much cheaper and more fulfilling than devouring a magazine and being spoonfed spin.

Here is to my blogging experiment -Yah!

Anonymous said...

Indeed I find myself asking the same question. I only started in April as a way to get back into writing and because a mother of a one year old needs a hobby (or I'd turn into something really frightening). As time goes on, I find that I'm getting bolder about what I write about. I decided that I wouldn't use my full name so that I couldn't be found by someone googling me. But I also decided that I wasn't going to be anonymous. Anyone who knows me in real life will know it's me. They just might get a little more information than they wish. Obviously I can't write about work (sigh) but I don't really care if people I work with find my blog. Some of my family reads it which leads to some interesting discussions... So I think you can be pretty honest in a blog.. But people have different levels of disclosure that they are comfortable with. This is a discussion that goes on a lot in the crafty blog scene. I say it is your space, do what you like. If you write something that keeps you awake, you can always change it in the morning.